Search This Blog

Monday, August 11, 2014

DIY Chalkboard

 
I've been wanting to try chalkboard paint FOREVER and this project was so fun!
 
For this project you'll need:
a frame (check garage sales or Goodwill)
Krylon chalkboard paint
craft paint for the frame
foam paintbrush
chalk*
Also shown below is mounting hardware I added to my frame.


Step 1:  After removing the glass, clean and then paint your frame.  Mine probably would have benefited from sanding/primer, but I didn't do either and several coats covered it fine.



Step 2:  Spray your glass in a well ventilated area.  I sprayed mine in the garage but had two mishaps - the breeze blew the trash bag onto the paint while it was drying and gnats flying into the paint.  ick!


This is the exciting/scary part - you have to "season" your chalkboard by rubbing your chalk over the entire surface.  My instructions said to wait 3 hours.  I waited overnight, but I think it might be better to wait 24 hours.  *The kind of chalk you buy matters - I had "dustless chalk" from Hobby Lobby and it did not work at all.  I actually recommend sidewalk chalk to season the chalkboard.


After this step, wipe off chalk with a soft cloth.

 
It's so exciting to be able to write on your chalkboard now!!


Put the chalkboard back into it's frame.

 
Great transformation!!!
 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Signature

Signature

You Might Also Like...

Blog Archive