Search This Blog

Monday, October 17, 2016

Rope Bowl - "Make it Work Moment"




I saw this DIY rope bowl on Pinterest and I really wanted to make one - I thought it would be perfect to use when trick-or-treaters came by my office. I planned to use orange, yellow and white thread to make it look candy corn inspired.




At first it went fine, but then after you make a flat coil, you're supposed to hold the coil up and then sew more layers around - making the edges of the bowl.

I made two different attempts and ended up very frustrated and it just did not work. This doily-looking thing is what I ended up with.

 
So I tried a different approach.  I had a "make it work moment" (for anyone who doesn't watch Project Runway, that's become Tim Gunn's catchphrase).  I had read that you could do a no-sew version, by hot gluing the rope, so I tried that.  I used a glass bowl as a form and covered it with saran wrap to protect the bowl.  I think parchment paper would have been a better idea, because the glue got on the saran wrap and it became an integral part of the interior of the bowl.
 


 
I left a space on both sides and did two more rounds of rope and that created handles.
 
 
 
 
So - I got my bowl even if it wasn't exactly what I had envisioned.  On to the next project!
 


 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Signature

Signature

You Might Also Like...

Blog Archive