Search This Blog

Monday, June 25, 2018

DIY Succulent Wreath


My friend asked me to make a wreath for her front door - she didn't give me any parameters, so I had fun coming up with something!  She's super into succulents, so I knew that would be perfect.



For this project you'll need:
Flat Styrofoam wreath form
saran wrap
yarn
faux succulents
a wooden or chipboard word
paint (I used spray paint)
floral wire
wire cutters
tape
fishing line
jute cord

Step 1:  Wrap your wreath form in saran plastic wrap.  This keeps the yarn from cutting into the foam.

Step 2: Wrap your wreath form with the yarn.  I discovered on a blog that it works well to cut long strands of yarn (I did 5-6 at a time), knot them and then wrap (obviously leaving the knots at the back).  When I got to the end of the string, I would tape it in the back as well.





Step 3:  Lay out the word and succulents to get an idea of what you want the wreath to look like.


Step 4:  Spray paint the word you chose.  I chose the word "welcome" and a glossy aqua spray paint. The paint didn't stick that well to the chipboard word, I think either using spray paint/wood word or brushed on acrylic paint/chipboard would be better combinations.



Step 5:  Cut the stem pieces off the succulents, leaving about a half inch that can be stuck into the foam.  Use the floral wire to wrap around the leaves of the succulents and then twist/tie them onto the foam.




Step 6:  Use fishing line to tie the word to the wreath form.  I didn't do this, but using glue dots under the word might be a good idea too.



Step 7:  Tie a piece of jute around the top of the wreath form, as a wreath hanger and then enjoy your new wreath!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Signature

Signature

You Might Also Like...

Blog Archive