Search This Blog

Monday, May 7, 2018

How To Paint a Metal Bed Frame



For my guestroom, I searched Pinterest for inspiration and knew I wanted a bed frame that looked like this:





Or like this:


So I kept an eye on Facebook Marketplace and found a few options and found this listed for sale and decided this was it.

I didn't like the gold and there were a lot of areas where the paint had been chipped off, so I knew I would need to refinish it.  One of the reasons I'm doing this post is because I couldn't find that many online tutorials.


Step one was to obtain the bed.  (Which I did, thanks to the help of my parents!) Step two was to get all the materials.

I stood in the paint aisle in Menards FOREVER. In fact, here is my FB post from that day, explaining.
Here are the paints I was debating between.





I always love the look of satin, but I hadn't really painted metal before. For some reason I was worried it would look dull. So that's why I bought the metallic initially and then ended up with satin finish - which turned out to be perfect and exactly what I wanted.

From Menards, I bought:

medium sander
Krud Kutter deglosser
2 tarps
4 cans of the satin finish spray paint
paint handle (which is TOTALLY worth buying)


I should have bought a painting mask, because I could tell it affected my sinuses not wearing one.


Step three is to prep.  So, I carried each piece to my driveway and filled a bucket with water and dishsoap and got out my gloves and an old washrag and cleaned every piece, making sure to get dirt out of detail/crevice areas.



Then I tried both the deglosser and sanding on two different parts and I recommend sanding.  It's easier and I thought it prepped the pieces better.  And it saves you money to only buy one thing.


After sanding, you need to wipe everything down, I think I used a clean microfiber cloth.


Then I started spraying - following the instructions on the can.  A light coat 8-10 inches away.  Slow back and forth motion.  Ok to do the second a few minutes after the first.  I could tell immediately I made the right choice on the finish.



Then I dragged the tarps into the garage and let them cure for 24 hours.


I actually spread the painting out over two days.  The first day was perfect.  The second day had wind speeds of 25 mph - which was NOT GOOD.  First it blows the paint away from it's target, not coating evenly and making you use more paint.  Second, it blows junk onto your paint.  Make sure you check wind speeds before you start painting.

Then I carried each piece into my guestroom and put it together and it's SO EXCITING!  I haven't bought a mattress for it yet, it'll be a work in progress for a while, but it feels good to have this first step accomplished!




























6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tips! Will definitely help as I'm doing the same thing this coming week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if black chalk satin paint woodwork

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post i must say and thanks for the information. Education is definitely a sticky subject. However, is still among the leading topics of our time. I appreciate your post and look forward to more. custom lapel pins

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since you sprayed the pieces with them laying down how did you go about getting both sides painted? Was the paint able to dry enough for you to flip them over and spray the other side with out them sticking to the tarp? Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can you suggest me some Normal paints?( I don't like to use spray paints) They suggest some paints on this website. Is there paints are good enough?

    ReplyDelete

Signature

Signature

You Might Also Like...

Blog Archive