Search This Blog

Monday, June 1, 2020

DIY Picnic Blanket

Last summer my sister Jordan got her kids into a fun routine with special days of the week.  

Make It Monday, where they made a craft.  
Taste it Tuesday, where they helped cook or tried something new to eat or ate a special treat.  
Water Wednesday, where they played with the water table, went to the pool, ran through a sprinkler in the backyard, etc.
Picnic Thursday, where they went to the park for the afternoon and took a picnic lunch.  
Family Friday Movie Night - where they picked a movie to watch together or went to the theater.
I thought the whole concept was so adorable.  Picnic Thursday gave me the idea to make them a picnic blanket.  I had a lot of fun choosing fabric and then I chose a laminated fabric as the back side, to lay on the ground.


I also wanted to make it big enough for their whole family to use it, so I made it two yards long.

I spread out the black and white vinyl fabric right side down on the floor.  Then I arranged the watermelon fabric on top, right side up.  (So wrong sides were facing each other.)  Then I pinned all the way around.  Then I sewed the two pieces together.

I laid out the blanket again and pinned binding around it.  I made sure to miter the corners.

 



Once that part was complete, I came up with how it should be folded and then added a velcro closure and handle for carrying.


It made me so happy to see my niece and nephew enjoying their Picnic Thursday!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Signature

Signature

You Might Also Like...

Blog Archive