Search This Blog

Monday, August 8, 2022

Bedroom Design Tips

 



1. Curtains make a huge visual impact.  The curtains behind my bed are covering up 1 window and a lot of wall.  From a practical standpoint - it's unnecessary!  From a design standpoint, it is everything.  It provides symmetry and a backdrop for the bed.  All my curtain rods were hung at the top of the wall, as close to the ceiling as I could get.  This adds height to your room and gives the room a sophisticated feel.  My curtains were from Kohl's, but the ones below from Amazon are similar.  

 
 2. When you're designing in a neutral color palette, texture is everything.  My curtains have a linen texture.  The lamps have a texture.  The upholstered headboard, pillow shams and throw pillow all have texture.  The throw blanket was chosen for it's texture.  In a corner you don't see, I added a coiled rope laundry hamper.  Even the artwork I designed was all about texture.  I made this using an inexpensive canvas and joint compound.  The other thing is - don't be nervous if everything is not the same shade.  In this room, I have the range from greige to white to ivory to linen and I was nervous that the different shades would be disharmonious, but in reality, it all works together.  Tone on tone neutrals.

Similar art at Amazon:
   

 3. Scale.  There were lamps that I really loved, I ordered them (from Walmart, surprisingly) and I really wanted them to work, but they were diminutive on my night stands.  The pic on the left uses "See it in your space" technology from Target, but that's about how the lamps looked.  


My lamps are from Target, but these from Amazon are similar and a great deal!

 

 4. Storage.  To the extent you can, "Marie Kondo" your items.  Then figure out what furniture or system you need to keep your room picked up all the time and work that into your design plan.  The storage cube system I got from Target contains:  gifts that I've bought, books/journals, a neck massager, cards/paperwork/candy, items to get rid of, and upcoming projects.  Before realizing I needed storage for these categories, they were in piles around my room.  Even if it doesn't stay perfect, it's important to have a place that everything is supposed to go.

5. Layers.  This is where things get expensive, but it's also what makes a room feel luxurious.  And it doesn't have to happen all at once.  My main window has a double curtain rod, with sheers behind the curtains.  All of that adds another texture and another layer.  Practically, they allow light it while giving some privacy.  On the bed, I have my regular pillows, 2 euro pillows and a lumbar pillow.  I have a super textured throw blanket for the end of the bed.  And I just bought a "summer throw blanket".  I haven't bought a rug yet, but that adds another layer to the room.  Also I've thought about getting some type of basket to put under my nightstands.


 

 6. Lighting.  Two lamps on either side of the bed is classic.  If you need the surface of your nightstand and feel like a lamp would take up too much room, wall sconces or mounted lights are good.  I found technology to help me with lighting and it has made me so happy!  I bought a "smart plug" that my two lamps are plugged into and I can control them via an app of my phone.
    
They are scheduled to come on in the evening and then I use the app to turn them off when I go to sleep.  

7. Accessories.  I don't find it necessary to overly accessorize a bedroom.  It is important to have a natural element - a plant (live or faux) or flowers (live only).  Beyond that try to add necessaries that serve a purpose.  If you take rings off right before bed, add a cute dish on your nightstand.  If you like candlelight, add a candle. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Signature

Signature

You Might Also Like...

Blog Archive