(base target="_blank" /) Lyndi's Projects: Painted Canvas Nativity Backdrop (base target="_blank" /)

Search This Blog

Monday, December 1, 2014

Painted Canvas Nativity Backdrop

star of bethlehem on painted canvas, paint a background for nativity set
 
I bought my first ever Nativity set this year - from Hobby Lobby.  I went in not really knowing what style I wanted.  I didn't want anything too formal or anything too whimsical.  Something in-between.
 
 
And I think these are just perfect - I LOVE that it looks like they're all wearing sweaters - even the animals!
 


 
So I placed them on top of this bookcase.  And thought the setting looked stark, boring, disappointing, diminutive...  It was lacking something.  I considered buying a stable for them, but decided that was a purchase for a future year.  I don't need to spend all my Christmastime money on new nativity accessories!
 

After briefly considering building a nativity, I came up with a different idea.  I had a canvas lying around and decided to paint a backdrop.  I looked online for ideas.  I decided to keep it simple and paint a night sky.

 
So, I got out black, white and navy paint, on a professional palette....or a Styrofoam plate... and a foam brush and a cup of water (the M & M's and bowls are for a different activity) and settled in in front of...
 
 
 
The Voice!
 

And just had fun mixing colors and adding in layers of color!  (Obviously I had enough to drink - Freddy's soda and Starbucks salted caramel hot chocolate!)


I was very happy with how it turned out and once it dried I had one more touch to add.
 
 
The star of Bethlehem!  I happened to have a silver leaf foil pen from another project and that is what I used for this.  I found a star shape I liked online, re-sized it and used an exacto knife to cut the shape out.  Then I used the colored in the open shape in the paper.
 

♪♫ O Little Town of Bethlehem, how still we see thee lie...♫♪♪




No comments:

Post a Comment

Signature

Signature

You Might Also Like...

Compassion