Search This Blog

Monday, September 3, 2018

Quiet Book - Alphabet Page


For this Project You'll Need:
2 background sheets of felt (I used gray)
1 sheet of white felt (to make the boxes behind the letters)
Approx. 72 in. of both sides of velcro
scissors
sewing machine
rotary mat/cutter (optional)
hot glue gun
31 colors of felt - the good news is, they can be tiny scraps of felt

💡 IDEA - make these pages after making all your other quiet book page, 
so you'll have plenty of scraps left to use.

Step 1: Planning - determine how big your quiet book pages are (mine are 9x9 inches).  Here's what I did to start from scratch - open Word and set my page size to 8x8 - I think I did this so there would be some room around the edges.  I made boxes that were 1.3 x 1.3 and that allowed 6 boxes across and 6 boxes down  - which allows you to make 36 letters.  (26 alphabet, 5 extra vowels, 5 letters you might need two of - especially of a child has a duplicate letter in their name).  Inside the boxes, I made each letter in font "Arial Black", size 80.

Step 2: Print your template and cut out each letter.  

Step 3: Cut out each letter.  I did this by holding my paper template against the felt and cutting around it.  You could trace the template and then cut.  You could also try this method I saw on Pinterest (after I was done cutting mine out)



Here are all my letters cut out - I decided to do two of each vowel, and now, I wish I had done 2 of the more popular consonants.

Step 4: Use your rotary cutter to cut the white felt into 31 __ size boxes.

Step 5: Cut your one side of your Velcro into 31 pieces that will fit onto the white squares. (The other side of the velcro will remain long.  I think I put the soft side on the back of the letters and the other side on the gray background). 

Step 6: Sew the pieces of Velcro onto the backs of the 31 white squares.
Step 7: Sew the long strips onto the gray background.  I did 6 strips on the alphabet side and three strips on the spelling side.

Step 8:  Hot glue the letters onto the white squares.

Step 9: Enjoy your work!  



On this side, Henry can practice spelling his name, practice spelling simple words, sort the letters by vowel/consonant or by color families.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Signature

Signature

You Might Also Like...

Blog Archive