Search This Blog

Monday, January 27, 2014

Gallery Wall How-To: Create a Focal Point with Framed Art

Create continuity by choosing one or more common element.

I chose black frames and square/rectangle shapes.  I also spaced all of my frames about 2 inches apart.

  



Create interest by adding variety.


My frames have different textures – some are ornate and some are simple and sleek.  Some have mats, some do not.  I used a variety of media to create visual interest.

 

Choose a theme for your grouping.


Because my grouping is in my bedroom, the first theme is “Lyndi” – things that represent me and a secondary theme is serenity, peace, comfort – because I want a relaxing and rejuvenating atmosphere.  I also chose subdued tones.  Your theme might be nature, Victorian era, abstract art, your children, the ocean, yellow – possibilities are endless.
 

Arrangement

Either keep things symmetrical, even and straight or go with an odd number placed  in a more free, organic shape.  I chose the organic approach for my wall.  If going symmetrical, the frames should be all the same.

Laying frames on the floor on top of craft or wrapping paper lets you choose the look you want without a bunch of nail holes in your wall.  When you are happy with the arrangement, tape the paper onto the wall and then put the nails through the craft paper.  Then tear the craft paper down and the nails are ready for all your frames.

 
If you love the photo, it's available for purchase in my Etsy shop, TheBurlapFlower!

 I started with a small grouping and have added frames, as I made or found new art pieces.  I have also made it kind of a game to find the least expensive frames I can – check out antique stores, thrift stores, garage sales, Buy, Sell, Trade groups, Craigslist, your basement and store sales.  The frame around my lilac photo was in a pile of trash, so that was my least expensive find – I painted it black and now I love it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Signature

Signature

You Might Also Like...

Blog Archive