Search This Blog

Monday, July 14, 2014

Two Easy Toddler Dresses

Dress 1:

Walking through JoAnn Fabric, I discovered mock smock fabric.  It was so pretty and The Little Mermaid always reminds me of my red-headed, two-year old niece.  I thought it looked so easy to turn into a dress!  The most difficult part was having to guess her measurements.  It really was an easy project - just sew right sides together and add straps - and it looks adorable on Hadley!

how to sew a mock smock dress, ariel dress


Dress 2: 

When I found some lavender knit fabric at Goodwill, I decided to make a new Easy Toddler Dress, like the one that I made for Hadley a year ago.  I had a little bit of trouble following my own instructions, so I am going to re-state some of them!


Step 1:  Measure the bottom of the tank top.  Take the width x 2 to get the circumference.  Then take that measurement x 2 to get enough fabric to make the skirt ruffled.  So the width of the 4T tank I used was 11 inches.  Total circumference was 22 inches.  Total length of fabric needed: 44 inches.  The width of the fabric needed can be adjusted, based on how long you want the dress to end up.  I think 6 inches seems to be about right, so you need [# of inches x 2 + 1].  Since I wanted 6 inches, I doubled that (12in.) and added one inch for two 1/2 inch margins at the top. (APPROXIMATELY - I don't really worry about measurements!)

Summary of Step 1:  My fabric was cut to 13 x 44 inches.


Step 2:  Fold the width in half and sew the short ends together to form a circle with an unfinished top.


Step 3:  Sew the unfinished top, with your widest stitch setting.  Do not backstitch.  Leave your strings long.  Once sewn, pull the bottom string to create a ruffle.
 
If this part looks easy, then the picture is misleading.  It takes awhile and you have to constantly pull the string, then move the gathers down the length of the fabric.
 

Step 4:  Pin right sides together (of the tank and the circle of knit fabric and sew along the already stitched line.



Dress is almost finished:


Step 5:  Adding a flower at the top MAKES this dress - it's a must!  The pictures and instructions I did previously, found here Easy Toddler Dress are actually very helpful.

how to sew a toddler dress


I like this dress because it's so comfy and cool.  It looks adorable, but is inexpensive and washable enough that it can be played in.


Isn't my niece the cutest?!


 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Signature

Signature

You Might Also Like...

Blog Archive