Search This Blog

Monday, August 6, 2018

DIY Pirate's Treasure Map


I LOVE how my nephew Henry, who is 4, gets really into topics.  He's been into trains, dirt movers, colossal squids, octopuses, the human body and now pirates.  When he discovers these new interests, his mom takes him to the library and they check out all the books on that topic.  He listens intently and learns all the facts.  It is super cute.  So when my sister told me the new topic was pirates - my mind started turning.  I thought he'd love finding a treasure map and hunting for buried treasure!

I was searching through Dollar Tree  - looking for treasure and getting ready to buy giant checkers and spray paint them gold - when I found the perfect package of oversize coins in the party favor section!  In the same aisle I found a little gift box that was perfect.  And then I bought a 2 pack of gold bead necklaces (and pulled off the shot glasses).

Then I went to the park and surveyed it - I figured out a perfect place to hide the treasure and drew myself a rough map of the park.  Wichita has the perfect park for this activity - the play equipment is a pirate ship.



For this project you'll need:
brown paper bag
markers
"treasure"
"treasure chest"


I cut an oval out of the bag and then crumpled it and tore the edges - to add character and make it look old.  Then I used colored pencils, markers and metallic pens to prepare my map.


I got to the park ahead of Henry's family and hid the treasure and rolled up the map and told him I found it in Pirate's Park and I needed his help to find the buried treasure.  He was SUPER excited!


I helped him spot landmarks on the map and he ran to each new landmark - each one taking us closer to the treasure.

Once we found the treasure - he was still so happy and excited - he carried it all around the playground. 


His baby sister was very interested in the treasure too!  I love that for under $5 and a little effort - Henry and I created this fun memory together.  It's one of my favorite jobs, as an Aunt, to create magic for my nieces and nephews.






1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    I'm Candy from PearlMountain Limited. I'm wondering if you could write something about our DesignEvo on your site.

    DesignEvo is an online logo maker for creating professional logos in seconds. Try it out:https://www.designevo.com/. Some of its key features:

    * 6000+ professionally designed templates.
    * Over one million icons available to search through.
    * Hundreds of text fonts and shapes to choose from.
    * Fully customizable features.

    Besides, it also has mobile versions:https://www.designevo.com/for-mobile/.
    The version for Mac:https://www.designevo.com/desktop/.

    Could you please take a look and make a video for this app? If you are interested, please feel free to ask me for the coupon to get its premium logo packages for free.

    Look forward to hearing from you soon.

    Best Regards,

    Candy

    ReplyDelete

Signature

Signature

You Might Also Like...

Blog Archive