Search This Blog

Monday, July 1, 2013

Ribboned Wedding Wands

Are you looking for a unique alternative to bubbles or birdseed for your wedding exit?  Look no further!  We decided to use these wedding wands for my sister Laura's wedding and they look amazing in pictures and are fun for the guests to keep!
 
I also posted this today, because besides being beautiful in weddings, these wands would be great for toddlers on the 4th of July - sparklers might be too dangerous, but these are fun to wave!

 
 
What you need:
wooden dowel rods, whatever length you want - but make sure to get a medium width
ribbon(s), in the colors you choose
screw eyes (found in the hardware section of walmart)
jingle bells (optional)
wire to add bells (optional)
paint for dowel rods (optional)


I got my two sisters, brother-in-law and future brother-in-law to help with the assembly, so luckily it went really quickly - but I'm so mad - I neglected to take any pictures! 

We did have trouble - I had bought two different sizes of screw eyes and the size is pretty important.  By zooming into my pic, I see that it says 3/4, which was the better size. 

First, we painted the dowels with spray paint, outside on newspaper.  This didn't work great, as it was hard to rotate a big bunch of dowels evenly.  Also the dowels dried stuck to the newspaper.  I don't have any magic suggestions other than handpainting each one with a foam brush.  Let me know what works best for you.

Then, my brothers-in-law did the difficult job of screwing the screw eyes into the dowels. 
It takes muscles!

Then we used wire to tie a jingle bell onto the screw eye.

Then we cut ribbon, about twice as long as your dowel rod, and tied it onto the screw eye.

We thought they looked gorgeous in their vase - almost like an interesting wedding decoration.


And they looked even better being waved, as Josh and Laura made their exit!


My niece Hadley especially loved waving her wand!  And if you like her dress, see instructions here!


What did you have (or would want to have) for your wedding exit?

 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this! I want to make these for my wedding. Probably my only diy project. I'm not super crafty :) They are very pretty in the vase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rachel, you're welcome! Congratulations on your upcoming wedding - I'm sure your wands will turn out great!!

      Delete

Signature

Signature

You Might Also Like...

Blog Archive