Search This Blog

Monday, October 24, 2016

Fabric Letters





I've wanted to make fabric letters for a long time. Then I found this version on Pinterest and I fell in love with it - I wanted my letters to look EXACTLY like these - I wanted the same frayed edges and adorable fabric (which I discovered is Toy Chest by Penny Rose Fabrics - to me it has the look of vintage children's books and that is so perfect for these letters).




 BUT the fabric is no longer available to buy. Luckily, I found exactly what I needed for sale on Etsy (shoutout MixFabrics) for a reasonable price and it came in adorable packaging!  win/win/win


Step one was to create the alphabet patterns and cut them out.  If you want to use the font I used here is the free template.

My fabric came already cut in 5 inch squares.  So the next step was to cut fabric backing and batting into just a little bigger than five inch squares.  Use your rotary mat and cutter and this goes pretty fast.

Then I laid out my fabric squares to make sure I liked the color order.






Then you make a fabric sandwich and put your letter template on top and trace around it with a fabric marker.




 Then you sew about a 1/4 inch inside your drawn lines, because the lines will be your cut line.






I had a lot of fun playing with the letters - hopefully my littles will too!




Then I took a leap of faith and washed and dried the letters in the washing machine/dryer.

They came out like this - which was scary!


But after a lot of thread clipping and ironing - I think they turned out very:





No comments:

Post a Comment

Signature

Signature

You Might Also Like...

Blog Archive